The information on this page is our interpretation of federal and state law compiled from difference sources.  For the actual law please visit: State of CT General Statutes or contact DPS and United States Code and Code of Federal Regulations or contact ATF.



Second Amendment to the United States Constitution


National Firearms Act


Use FFL eZ Check to verify the authenticity of a Federal firearms license.



CT State Permit to Carry Pistols or Revolvers:


Federal Law states you may only buy a handgun in the state in which you reside.

You can only buy a handgun in Connecticut, if in addition to being a resident, you have a valid Permit to carry Pistols or Revolvers, a valid Eligibility Certificate, if you are a licensed Firearms Dealer or if you are a Sworn Police Officer.


Firearm Prohibitors:


1. No person convicted for a Felony or a Misdemeanor crime of domestic violence involving the use or threatened use of physical force or a deadly weapon may possess any firearms in Connecticut.


2. No person may obtain a Pistol Permit, Eligibility Certificate, or possess any handguns if they are less than 21 years of age, subject to a Protective or Restraining Order, or if they have been convicted of a felony, or convicted in Connecticut for any of the following misdemeanors:

  • Illegal possession of narcotics or other controlled substances - 21a-279(c)
  • Criminally negligent homicide - 53a-58
  • Assault in the third degree - 53a-61
  • Assault of a victim 60 or older in the third degree - 53a-61a
  • Threatening - 53a-62
  • Reckless endangerment in the first degree - 53a-63
  • Unlawful restraint in the second degree - 53a-96
  • Riot in the first degree - 53a-175
  • Riot in the second degree - 53a-176
  • Inciting to riot - 53a-178
  • Stalking in the second degree - 53a-181d, or

3. Other persons prohibited from possessing a firearm include anyone convicted as delinquent for the commission of a serious juvenile offense or has been discharged from custody within the preceding twenty years after having been found not guilty of a crime by reason of mental disease or defect; or has been confined in a hospital for persons with psychiatric disabilities (as defined in section 17a-495) within the preceding twelve months by order of a probate court; or is subject to a firearms seizure order issued pursuant to subsection (d) of section 29-38c after notice and hearing; is prohibited from shipping, transporting, possessing or receiving a firearm pursuant to 18 USC 922(g)(4); or is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States.


Obtaining a Pistol Permit in the State of CT:


The cost for obtaining a pistol permit is $70.00. The permit is good for a period of five years. The application paperwork (DPS-46-C) may be obtained from your local police department or you can call (860) 685-8290 to have an application sent to you.


You are required to complete a handgun safety course prior to submitting the application. ArmsX offers a course which meets state requirements. Please see our Pistol Permit Course page.


You will also be required to submit to a background investigation, criminal history check and submit fingerprints and photographs in connection with your application. The licensing statute also contains a “suitability clause” which provides that the issuing authority may deny such application, if it determines that the applicant is not a suitable person to possess or carry a pistol or revolver. The suitability clause applies both to the issuance of new permits and revocation of existing permits. Applicants must provide proof you are legally and lawfully in the United States, such as a birth certificate, or U.S. Passport. Legal Alien Residents must provide Alien Registration numbers and 90-day proof of residency. Naturalized citizens require proof of citizenship.


The issuing authority has 8 weeks to review your application and approve or deny. A denial may be appealed to the Board of Firearm Permit Examiners as provide in C.G.S. Section 29-32.


Change of Address:


A person holding a state or local pistol permit is required to notify the issuing authority within two business days of any change of address:


via phone: Special Licensing and Firearms Unitvia phone: Special Licensing and Firearms Unit at (860) 685-8290

via E-mail:

via mail: Department of Public Safety, Special Licensing and Firearms Unit, 1111 Country Club Road, Middletown, CT, 06457.  Include your name, permit number, old address and new address.


Stolen Firearms:


Notify your local police department or to the state police troop having jurisdiction for your town as soon as possible and no later than within seventy-two hours of when you discover (or should have discovered) the loss or theft of your firearm. If the theft or loss is not reported in a timely manner, you may be fined for the first offense and charged with a felony for a subsequent. Please reference Sec.  53-202g.


Remember to keep a detailed record of all of your firearms. You may complete this form created by the ATF to keep a record of your firearms.